VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the stock, cranberries and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in cashews. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Nutty Cranberry Rice Pilaf in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p88