I like to bring healthy foods to the table, especially around the holidays. Most of my meals contain onions or garlic or both. Here is one recipe that can be used as a side dish or as a delightful meatless main dish —Renee Hagens, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the stock, cranberries and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in cashews. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Nutty Cranberry Rice Pilaf in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p88