Nutty Cranberry Cheddar Bread
The combination of cranberries, orange and cheese makes this bread a real taste treat. I often give these lovely quick breads as gifts. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes3 mini loaves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until well blended. Stir in the orange zest and lemon zest. In a measuring cup, combine orange juice and lemon juice; add enough water to measure 1 cup. Add eggs and juice mixture to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Fold in the cheese, cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 178 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Crunchy Cranberry Cheddar Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005