My mom used to make this coleslaw often when I was little. I think my three siblings and I must've requested it often, because each of use was allowed to eat six peanuts as a special treat while Mom was making it. I remember we'd all line up at the kitchen table to wait for her to count them out!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup dry roasted salted peanuts
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place cabbage and peanuts in a large salad bowl; set aside. In a bowl, beat eggs and cream until frothy; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring remaining dressing ingredients to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Gradually beat into egg mixture. Return to heat; cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Set aside to cool. Pour over cabbage; toss to coat. Refrigerate.