My mom used to make this coleslaw often when I was little. I think my three siblings and I must've requested it often, because each of use was allowed to eat six peanuts as a special treat while Mom was making it. I remember we'd all line up at the kitchen table to wait for her to count them out!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup dry roasted salted peanuts
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place cabbage and peanuts in a large salad bowl; set aside. In a bowl, beat eggs and cream until frothy; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring remaining dressing ingredients to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Gradually beat into egg mixture. Return to heat; cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Set aside to cool. Pour over cabbage; toss to coat. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 167 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Nutty Coleslaw in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.