Nutty Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 cakes (8 servings each)
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sour cream
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Prepare and bake cakes according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat almond paste and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in cream until fluffy. Cut each cake horizontally in half; spread filling over bottom layers. Replace top layers.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Stir in sour cream and salt. Spread over the top of each cake. Sprinkle with almonds. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 490 calories, 33g fat (14g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 292mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Aug 2, 2015
Yummy! I just love the almond filling. It is so good! I often make the cake layers ahead of time and freeze, then just take them out on the day I want to finish up the cake. It's so impressive looking and is wonderful too served with fresh raspberries or fresh sliced strawberries.
Nov 6, 2011
I can't believe how easy this recipe was to make. I just made one big cake with each cake being a layer. The filling was absolutely delicious & my kids were loving all the different tastes. This was my first layer cake, I'm more of a cook than a baker, & I enjoyed making it. A simple recipe with a huge impact of decadent scrumptiousness!!! If you're an almond lover like I am, the mix of chocolate with the almond filling is out of this world. It pairs wonderfully together. We ate it with a side of rocky road ice cream for my daughters 11th birthday. No store bought cake could compare to the smiles & raves my birthday girl made about this cake. Thank you so much for sharing.