Nutty Caramels Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melted milk chocolate
- 1. Line a 9-in. square pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, milk and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a rapid boil, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely. Using foil, lift caramels out of pan; discard foil. Cut into small squares or diamonds. Drizzle each with chocolate if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds.
1 caramel: 40 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 14mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Nutty Caramels
"These remind me of the caramels that my aunt used to make and hide so no one else would eat them. I used walnuts and it turned out great. They are easy to make, but takes a long time to get to the right temp. but well worth the stirring and patience."
"At first I didn't think this would be enough. It seemed to make such a small batch. But after they were cut there were plenty. We love caramels and this one will stay around a long time. We love the mix of caramels and nuts and this is a perfect combination."
"This is the first candy recipe I've ever made. Good stuff!"