Nutty Buttermilk Loaf
A brown sugar glaze adds a little sweetness to slices of this flavorful quick bread loaded with toasted walnuts. I often share loaves with friends and neighbors.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
Makes5 mini loaves (6 slices each)
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- PENUCHE GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 3/4 to 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add buttermilk, eggs and butter; beat just until combined. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into five greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, bring brown sugar and butter to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in milk and mace until smooth. Stir in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over loaves.