"I often whip up these tasty treats when unexpected guests stop by," says Neva Mathes of Pella, Iowa. "They always receive favorable comments. They also make a fast dessert to take along to a picnic," she adds.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs until well blended. Stir in butter and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to butter mixture just until combined. Stir in nuts. Spread into a greased microwave-safe 8-in. square dish.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3-1/2 to 4 minutes or until top appears dry and springs back when lightly touched. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 162 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 124mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Nutty Brownies in Quick Cooking July/August 2001