"I often whip up these tasty treats when unexpected guests stop by," says Neva Mathes of Pella, Iowa. "They always receive favorable comments. They also make a fast dessert to take along to a picnic," she adds.
Recommended: Top 10 Recipes for Fudge
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add butter; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; add to butter mixture just until combined. Stir in nuts. Spread into a greased microwave-safe 8-in. square dish.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 6-7 minutes or until top appears dry and springs back when lightly touched, rotating a quarter turn every 2 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Nutty Brownies in Quick Cooking July/August 2001, p39