Nutty Apple Streusel Dessert
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Ice cream or whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, toss apples with cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Place in a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the milk, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and baking mix. Spoon over apples.
- 2. For topping, combine biscuit mix and brown sugar in a large bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Add almonds; sprinkle over apples.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the apples are tender. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
1 cup: 378 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 387mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jul 2, 2017
Very easy and great flavor. Left the almonds out.
May 14, 2017
Apples had a good flavor but I the dough mixture was doughy.
Nov 28, 2014
I agree with TeresaWitt about the texture - and honestly, even the apple part had a fairy odd texture when it was finished (I think due to the eggs). My husband said it was "ok." I thought it deserved more of an "I can eat it, but..." I think I would just advise that if anyone in your household is texture-sensitive (you know who you are), do something different - if not, go for it. The FLAVOR itself was good!!
Sep 13, 2014
Why the egg?
Mar 6, 2013
We LOVE this recipe. The smell is great and it is not overly sweet :) We enjoy this in about 2 - 2 1/2 hours from the crock pot.
Sep 29, 2012
Good flavor, but the almonds give it a strange texture. I think it might be better with oats.
Apr 5, 2011
I make this for Thanksgiving instead of an apple pie. My family LOVES it.
Oct 2, 2010
Delicious! Tastes great served with a scoop if icecream! Defiantly one to keep and make each fall!
Oct 12, 2009
This one is worth the preparation time. It's very good! I had 2 helpings the first time I tried it. Next time I make it I'll be sure to have vanilla ice cream on hand! -Lori in WI.