Nutty Apple-Filled Muffins Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth. Add apples; cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in nuts. Cool.
- 2. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- 3. Spoon 1/4 cupfuls of batter into greased jumbo muffin cups. Spoon apple mixture into the center of each (do not spread). Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350° for 25-27 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1 dozen jumbo muffins or 2 dozen regular muffins.
Editor's Note: If using regular-size muffin cups, fill cups half full with batter; add a rounded teaspoonful of apple mixture and remaining batter. Bake for 16-18 minutes.
1 each: 494 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Nutty Apple-Filled Muffins
"Now that I think about it though, next time I might reduce the amount of sugar used. They are very sweet, and I think they could do without so much sugar."
"Very good recipe! Works very well!"
"These are so moist, my husband raves about them and said it's like apple pie in a muffin. Makes a big batch so I have plenty to give away to family."
"These are fantastic and I have made them many times!"