"When I was growing up, my mother used to make this during apple season," recalls Debbie Tilley of Riverview, Florida. "The original recipe called for butter and egg, but I replaced them with applesauce and egg substitute."
Recommended: Maple Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced peeled tart apple (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce and egg substitute. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the applesauce mixture. Stir in apple and pecans.
- Spread into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, pecans, butter and cinnamon; sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Apple Nut Coffee Cake in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p50
Reviews forNutty Apple Coffee Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 25, 2009
"I took this for church snack this morning and three people asked for the recipe"