Nutmeg Zucchini Bisque
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sour cream and additional nutmeg, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute zucchini and onion in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Transfer to a food processor; cover and process on low until smooth. Return to the pan. Stir in the cream, salt, basil, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with sour cream and additional nutmeg if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 306 calories, 30g fat (19g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 857mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 13, 2010
I never have heavy whipping cream in the house, so I subbed about 3 oz of low fat cream cheese and a 1/4 cup skim milk. Add the cream cheese when you have your food processor out or the consistancy won't be as smooth. I also added a couple cloves of garlic to the onion and zucchini, and cut the butter in half. I love basil, so I punched that up to a whole Tablespoon. Delicious, creamy, and a lovely way to use my garden gifts!
Oct 16, 2009
I used some frozen shredded zucchini from the freezer and added 1% milk instead of the heavy whipping cream to help with calories. It was great. Would definitely make again.
Aug 4, 2009
A dollop of sour cream and I'm in Heaven when I eat this soup.
Jan 5, 2009
I checked a cookbook and 1 med. zucchini gives you about 2 cups. If you have a food processor, shred the zucchini that way. You're done in a few minutes.
Jan 5, 2009
This is a great soup. Simple to make. I like to serve it with croutons or some warm bread or rolls on the side.
Sep 27, 2008
One of the last times I made this recipe I was in the mood for a little eastern flair. So I added a little Curry Powder to taste, and my husband raved about. No leftovers
Sep 11, 2008
Approximately how many cups of shredded zucchini does 4 medium zucchini provide?
Aug 7, 2008
I am new so hope it is ok just 2 jump in but think this recipe sounds so good--I love zucchini--This year I tried something a little different(for me)-We don't have room to grow cukes in our garden & the price of the Kirby variety has been so pricey so I put on my thinking cap & made zucchini pickles--used my recipe for regular lime B&B pickles and they turned out great--I did use small , tender squash & didn't peel them--Hope to make a few more later--Thanks for a great soup recipe
Aug 7, 2008
I have made this soup many times. I have even gave my sister the recipe. It's creamy and just delicious. Very easy to make especially is you have a lot of zucchini.