- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, 1/2 cup sugar and shortening; beat well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into sour cream mixture just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Combine nutmeg and remaining sugar; sprinkle over muffins. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 9 muffins.
Reviews forNutmeg Sour Cream Muffins
"I was paging through some old issues today and found these tender muffins. They are delicious and have earned a place in my recipe file."
"I thought these muffins were a good sub for a dinner roll, but I will leave off the nutmeg topping next time."
"I am really surprised that no one else has made these muffins yet. I have tried so many sour cream muffin recipes and this one is definitely a family favorite. I plan to make some more this weekend and i will see if I can post a picture of the muffins as well. Make them, you won't regret it."
"These muffins are so fluffy and delicious! The recipe made 12 muffins when I did it and they puffed up to the point that they were beautifully rounded on the top. I added some cinnamon sugar to the topping since it wasn't enough topping for the batch. Would deffinitly make these again! A new favorite!"