"THIS RECIPE is from an 1883 housekeepers New Cookbook which has been well used all these years. The recipes in this book aren't as specific as you see today—they say, 'add some', 'slight amount', 'take some', 'cook short time', etc. One really has to experiment, but a good cook will quickly come up with the correct amounts."
Recommended: Baked Apples
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium tart apples, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- Place apples in a 13x9-in. baking dish; add water. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and keep warm. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, flour and nutmeg. Stir in cream. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Serve warm over apples. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Nutmeg Sauced Apples in Reminisce September/October 1992, p47
Reviews forNutmeg Sauced Apples
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review