Nutmeg Pear Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can (29 ounces) pear halves, drained and mashed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- APPLE CIDER SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the sugar, oil, eggs, cider and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir well. Stir in pears and pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For sauce, combine butter and sugars in saucepan. Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until sugar id dissolved. Combine the cornstarch and cider until smooth; add to sugar mixture. Stir in the cream and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve warm with cake.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 602 calories, 33g fat (10g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 21, 2009
I put mine in a 9x13 in pan and it worked just as good.
Dec 15, 2009
I would recommend doubling the sauce recipe...people just love it!
Jul 7, 2009
I made this cake for Thanksgiving one year in hopes of impressing my family and my in-laws. Man did it do the trick! Even the kids loved it. Moist, sticky, and sweet. This has become my favorite "company" cake.
Dec 8, 2008
This is delicious. I made this for dessert last night and the family loved it! The sauce is very sweet so you only need a little. The cake is moist and fits the season well. Thank you.