A pretty brown sugar topping adds a pleasant sweetness to these tender breakfast treats from Sharon Evans of Clear Lake, Iowa. "The nutmeg provides a nice change of pace from other muffins that are seasoned with cinnamon," she says.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups of flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 cup for topping. To the remaining crumb mixture, add the baking powder, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and remaining flour. Combine eggs and buttermilk; add to crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 204 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Nutmeg Muffins in Quick Cooking November/December 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.