"Simply the best" is what most folks say after sampling these rich, flaky cookies. It's a thrill to share them with friends and family during the holidays.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients (mixture will be thick). Divide dough into fourths (dough will be sticky). On a well-sugared surface, roll out each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. squares. Place about 1 teaspoon filling in the center of each square. Fold over two opposite corners; seal tightly.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 175 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Nut-Filled Horns in Best of Country Cookies