"Simply the best" is what most folks say after sampling these rich, flaky cookies. It's a thrill to share them with friends and family during the holidays.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients (mixture will be thick). Divide dough into fourths (dough will be sticky). On a well-sugared surface, roll out each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into 2-in. squares. Place about 1 teaspoon filling in the center of each square. Fold over two opposite corners; seal tightly.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 175 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Nut-Filled Horns in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.