- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 7 egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 cups ground walnuts or pecans
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, optional
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 5 to 7 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add butter, cream cheese, cream, sour cream, egg yolks, salt and 2-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until glossy stiff peaks form. Fold in nuts.
- Divide chilled dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; spread a fourth of the filling over each circle. Add cinnamon if desired to remaining sugar; sprinkle over filling. Cut each into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end; place pointed side down 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Bake at 350° for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forNut-Filled Butterhorns
"They were very yummy, but I couldn't be bothered to roll them out, so they suffered from my inability to provide them with the proper treatment. i imagine that in the right hands they would definitely be worth the extra work."
"Michael, thank you so much for posting this recipe! They do take a bit more time, but once you bite into one of them, ohhhh my goodness, the rich flakiness along with the flavor of the nuts,...a must try for everyone. They will soon become a favorite."