Nostalgic Chicken and Dumplings
Enjoy old-fashioned goodness without all the fuss when you fix this supper in your slow cooker. It features tender chicken, wonderfully light dumplings and a full-flavored sauce. —Brenda Edwards of Hereford, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (10 ounces each), skin removed
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 6 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Insert cloves into one onion; add to slow cooker. Add bay leaf and remaining onions. Sprinkle mixture with the garlic, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper. Add broth and wine if desired. Cover and cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm. Discard cloves and bay leaf. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water and browning sauce if desired until smooth. Stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
- Meanwhile, combine the biscuit mix, milk and parsley. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Serve with chicken and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 295 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 561mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Nostalgic Chicken and Dumplings in Light & Tasty October/November 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.