- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Red and/or green colored sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and extracts; beat until light and fluffy. Add flour and nuts; beat just until moistened. Cover and chill 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness with a glass dipped in colored sugar. Sprinkle with additional sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forNorwegian Cookies
"I had actually prepared this recipe before when it had appeared in Taste of Home! I prepared this recipe again 7/19/14. The recipe for me worked out very well! I added 1 tsp. salt with the flour-I sifted the ingredients together. I did omit the nuts and I chilled dough for several hours! I did grease the baking sheets and flattened to just 1/2" thickness, using a small jar, greased the bottom of the jar, then dipped in colored sugar. I baked just 8 minutes at 350o F. The cookies were delicately browned and did spread, but NOT too much for me! The batter WAS buttery and I wound up wearing those food gloves-the last sheet of cookies, I used a small spoon to scoop dough, then rolled into a ball, flattened with the sugar-dipped jar slightly and baked! I got 44 cookies out of this recipe! Thank you, Karen Skowronek, for sharing your recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein"
"I was very disappointed with this recipe. Too much butter and no need to grease the cookie sheet. They spread way too far; joining together, and left fingers way too messy with the excess butter."