VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional sugar
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk, sugar, butter, 2 eggs, cardamom, salt and 6 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into fourths. Divide each portion into thirds; shape each into a 12-in. rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 loaves.
Originally published as Cardamom Braids in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p51
Reviews forNorwegian Cardamom Bread Braids
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 3, 2016
"I get lots of requests for this recipe - 1 friend told me she dreamed of this bread after having in last year! I double the cardomom"