Northwoods Wild Rice Soup
My sister served this to me for the first time and it was so scrumptious I just had to have the recipe. The cream cheese gives the soup an ultra smooth texture.—Kim Caputo, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes12 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion and carrots in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the milk, rice, chicken and cream cheese; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 320 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as North Woods Wild Rice Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011