Even family and friends who aren't fond of wild rice rave about these golden muffins flecked with colorful blueberries and cranberries. They're a terrific take-along treat.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and butter. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the rice, blueberries and cranberries.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 134 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Northwoods Muffins in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.