Even family and friends who aren't fond of wild rice rave about these golden muffins flecked with colorful blueberries and cranberries. They're a terrific take-along treat.
Recommended: 33 Cozy Holiday Breads
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries*
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and butter. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rice, blueberries and cranberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 16 muffins.
Originally published as Northwoods Muffins in Best of Country Breads 2000, p20