Northwoods Beef Stew Recipe
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Place the carrots, celery and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Place beef over vegetables.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the soup, wine, tapioca, Italian seasoning, paprika, brown sugar, bouillon and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the top.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, adding mushrooms during the last hour. Serve with noodles. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup: 285 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Northwoods Beef Stew
"I didn't like this dish, and I think the tomato soup is the culprit, but I'm not sure. My husband didn't like it, but my son did. I won't be making it again."
"This stew was very good! I served it over mashed potatoes. The flour and quick-cooking tapioca gave it a gravy like consistency. Will definitely make again!"
"This was an awesome winter dish for the family after being out in the snow all day. Not hard to prepare and very yummy!!! Would make this again and again."
"Delicious! It is a cold, wet , rainy, January night & this just hit the spot for my husband, son & I. I served it with egg noodles & rolls but honestly would have preferred it just by itself with only the bread to mop up the extra sauce."
"We thought this was so good, although I did potatoes and no shrooms and I added Italian stewed tomatoes.........loved that I didn't have to precook the stew meat....I will make this again."
"I just had your stew ad it was not very good at all. I guess it must work for some. I would not ever eat it again. 1 star is too many."
"I grow and can my own tomatoes. I prefer to use them. Also agree no shrooms! Potatoes make it more a comfort food! Use a chuck roast and Kitchen Bouquet for a base. Make it in a pressure cooker!"
"the canned tomato soup spoiled it for me!!! stewed tomatoes would be a better choice.."
"This sounds wonderful, but would probably add a can of tomatoes and substitute potatoes for the mushrooms."