Northwest Seafood Corn Chowder
This chowder showcases the best of Northwest seafood; it’s all in here, from bay scallops to snapper.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 large ears sweet corn in husks
- 14 fresh cherrystone clams
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3/4 pound potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup clam stock
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1/2 pound uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Carefully peel back husks from corn to within 1-in. of bottom; remove silk. Rewrap corn in husks. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, tap clams; discard any that do not close. Place in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until clams open. Drain. Remove meat from clams; chop and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Add the butter, onion, celery and shallot; cook until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir for 10 minutes or until browned (do not burn). Gradually add water and clam juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut corn from cobs. Stir the corn, potatoes, clam stock, parsley, bay leaf, salt, pepper and thyme into soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add the scallops, shrimp and clams; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Stir in cream; heat through. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 476 calories, 33g fat (18g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 518mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.