- 8 bacon strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pint half-and-half cream
- 1 pound halibut fillets, cubed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Tarragon sprigs, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onion and celery in the drippings. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and cream until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the halibut, tarragon, salt, pepper and crumbled bacon. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with tarragon sprigs if desired. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews forNorth Pacific Chowder
"This chowder is excellent. However, it is never served when my third son is home, as he is deathly allergic to seafood. It's a keeper, but it won't be served to him."