- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine onion and oil. Place chicken thighs on top of onion; sprinkle with next seven ingredients. Top with raisins, olives, lemon and garlic. Add broth. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours. Serve with hot cooked rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forNorth African Chicken and Rice
"I followed this recipe exactly, other than subbing boneless skinless chicken for thighs, and it was awful! The combination of spices didn’t work well together at all, and the raisins didn’t taste right with the olives. Of my 4 person family, no one liked it, and most of us couldn’t eat more than a few bites. I’m baffled as to how this recipe has such great reviews."
"This went over well with my family. I might add more raisins next time. The leftovers worked very well packed as lunches for work."
"This is delicious! A wonderful, unique combination of flavors and spices. I made this as it is written. I will be making it again and sharing the rec8."
"Nice Spice Mix with an International feel. I substituted with boneless, skinless breast and extra-long grain rice. I WILL make this again and use the chicken thighs and try a Jasmine rice. I love this recipe. It's exotic, filling and so delicious!"
"easy and delish! Great to freeze for later, too."