- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine onion and oil. Place chicken thighs on top of onion; sprinkle with next seven ingredients. Top with raisins, olives, lemon and garlic. Add broth. Cook, covered, on low until chicken is tender, 4-5 hours. Serve with hot cooked rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forNorth African Chicken and Rice
"This went over well with my family. I might add more raisins next time. The leftovers worked very well packed as lunches for work."
"This is delicious! A wonderful, unique combination of flavors and spices. I made this as it is written. I will be making it again and sharing the rec8."
"Nice Spice Mix with an International feel. I substituted with boneless, skinless breast and extra-long grain rice. I WILL make this again and use the chicken thighs and try a Jasmine rice. I love this recipe. It's exotic, filling and so delicious!"
"easy and delish! Great to freeze for later, too."