Nopales Sesame Salad
For a uniquely delicious salad, this recipe uses cactus as its main ingredient. It is so easy to toss together and will be on the table in no time at all.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 pound cactus pads or fresh or frozen green beans, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place cactus in a saucepan and cover with water; cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; place in a serving bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over cactus and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 68 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 228mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Nopales Sesame Salad in Birds & Blooms December/January 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.