- 5 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook noodles according to package directions until tender. In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Drain noodles. Add to spinach mixture; toss gently to coat. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forNoodles Florentine
"I made this a couple of nights ago. I wanted something easy to put together. I made a few adjustments for my family's tastes. First, I doubled the recipe as this was the main course. I used heavy cream in place of the milk and fresh baby spinach in place of the frozen spinach. I also added cooked and chopped chicken. Instead of the swiss cheese, I used parmesan cheese and I think this added a lot more flavor than the swiss cheese would have.. I did have to add some milk to the mixture because it was a little thick with the cream. This casserole was very creamy and flavorful with these changes. My family liked it and I will serve this again."
"This makes a delicious meal. All's needed is salad to go alongside!"
"I thought this recipe was very bland as written. but, it has some potential....I did like the nutmeg, I thought it could use a bit more. It definitely needs "something" to kick it up to rate 5 stars."
"We really enjoyed this, as we love creamed spinach and I do add just a tiny touch of nutmeg when I make it. This is a rather bland dish, and I don't always go for bland, but this was a nice accompaniment to the pork chops we had for dinner. I did add a little heavy cream to the low fat milk to make it a bit richer, and used slightly more cheese than called for, plus I used less nutmeg....only a tiny pinch. Everybody's tastes are different......I've given low marks to dishes that others think are wonderful, so it's all an individual matter."
"This was terrible. Flavorless, and definitely not worth making again."
"I added sour cream, chicken and mushrooms. I left out the nutmeg, because I dont like it and substituted garlic for it. My family liked it really well"