"I find filling a salt shaker with this mixture of spices reduces the automatic reach for salt," notes Joy Back of Cincinnati, Ohio. Joy, who follows a low-sodium diet, sprinkles the fragrant fusion of flavors on meat, fish, poultry and vegetables.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 3 bay leaves broken into pieces
- 3 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender; cover and process until finely ground. Transfer to a salt shaker; use in place of salt.
Nutrition Facts1/4 teaspoon: 2 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Salt Substitute in Light & Tasty December/January 2002