Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash garlic salt
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato paste and seasonings. In a small bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Roll out each tube of crescent dough between waxed paper into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Transfer one rectangle to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Spread with half of the meat mixture to within 1 in. of edges; top with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat meat and cheese layers.
- Top with mozzarella. Carefully place second dough rectangle on top; press edges to seal. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 560 calories, 32g fat (14g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 1025mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 40g protein.
Mar 12, 2013
My family loved this recipe. It is fairly quick from start to table (about 45 minutes), and super delicious. Every one in the family declared it's a keeper!
Sep 1, 2012
This is one of our family's favorites! Highly recommended. It does take the full 20 mn prep time, which is more time than I usually spend, but well worth it. I'll sometimes freeze the leftovers, works well.