No-Knead Harvest Bread
While the rising time is long, you'll spend just minutes mixing the ingredients for this incredible bread. This chewy, flavorful bread has a crisp crust.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup assorted seeds, such as sesame seeds, flaxseed, sunflower kernels and/or poppy seeds, divided
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups bread flour, divided
- 2-1/4 cups cool water (55° to 65°)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Additional cornmeal
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, cornmeal, 1/3 cup seeds, salt, yeast and 2-1/2 cups bread flour. Stir in water and molasses until blended; dough will be wet and sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until more than doubled in size and bubbles are present on surface, 12 to 18 hours. Stir in remaining bread flour.
- Grease a baking sheet and sprinkle well with additional cornmeal; turn dough onto prepared pan. Gently shape with a spatula into a 9-in. round loaf. Cover and let rise at room temperature for 2 hours or until dough holds an indentation when gently pressed (loaf will slightly increase in size).
- Arrange one oven rack at lowest rack setting; place second rack in middle of oven. Place an oven-safe skillet on bottom oven rack; preheat oven and skillet to 475°. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil.
- Gently press remaining seeds onto top of loaf. Wearing oven mitts, place bread on top rack. Pull bottom rack out by 6-8 in.; add boiling water to skillet. (Work quickly and carefully, pouring water away from you. Don't worry if some water is left in the saucepan.) Carefully slide bottom rack back into place; quickly close door to trap steam in oven.
- Reduce heat to 425°; bake for 10 minutes. Remove skillet from oven; bake bread 20-25 minutes longer or until deep golden brown and bread sounds hollow when center is tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with a cast-iron skillet. If using a different type of pan, confirm that it is oven-safe to 450°. Dutch Oven Harvest Bread: After stirring in remaining bread flour, cover bowl again with plastic wrap and let dough rise for 2 hours. Lightly oil an oven-safe 5-qt. round Dutch oven; cover and place in oven. Preheat oven to 425°. Carefully remove hot Dutch oven; sprinkle bottom with cornmeal. With a spatula, transfer dough to Dutch oven. Sprinkle with remaining seeds. Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until deep golden brown and bread sounds hollow when center is tapped. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Bread may also be prepared in a clay bread baker; prepare baker according to manufacturer's directions.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 134 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Ciabatta in The Taste of Home Baking Book 2nd Edition