No-Knead Citrus Rolls
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, divided
- 1 cup warm heavy whipping cream (110° to 115°)
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, remaining sugar and salt. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, cream and egg yolks. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; roll each into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over dough.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, beginning with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into 15 slices; place the slices cut side down in two greased 9-in. pie plates. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm rolls. Cool in pans on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 174 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 25, 2020
These are great just the way they are. We baked some right away and also froze some rolls for baking later. Both turned out great. Preparing a second batch now. Can’t wait !
Mar 25, 2020
Can the entire recipe be made the night before and then baked the following morning? It sounds delicious, but still a lot of work the next morning if just the dough is refrigerated.
Jan 1, 2016
I followed the directions and in the morning the dough was hard as a rock, there was nothing to punch down. I think the recipe is missing a step. I got this recipe out of the Taste of Home Holiday Baking book 2015.