No-Knead Citrus Rolls
Margaret Otley's flavorful homemade rolls can come fresh from the oven any morning. "Besides the fact that they don't require kneading, the goodies are ideal to start preparing the night before and then bake for breakfast," she pens from Waverly, Nebraska. "You won't have to get up at the crack of dawn, either...but the sweet filling and flaky texture will taste like you did!"—Margaret Otley, Waverly, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, divided
- 1 cup warm heavy whipping cream (110° to 115°)
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, remaining sugar and salt. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, cream and egg yolks. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; roll each into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over dough.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, beginning with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into 15 slices; place the slices cut side down in two greased 9-in. pie plates. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm rolls. Cool in pans on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 174 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as No-Knead Citrus Rolls in Crafting Traditions March/April 2000
Jan 1, 2016
I followed the directions and in the morning the dough was hard as a rock, there was nothing to punch down. I think the recipe is missing a step. I got this recipe out of the Taste of Home Holiday Baking book 2015.