No-Knead Citrus Rolls
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, divided
- 1 cup warm heavy whipping cream (110° to 115°)
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, remaining sugar and salt. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, cream and egg yolks. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half; roll each into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine filling ingredients; sprinkle over dough.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, beginning with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into 15 slices; place the slices cut side down in two greased 9-in. pie plates. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm rolls. Cool in pans on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 174 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 1, 2016
I followed the directions and in the morning the dough was hard as a rock, there was nothing to punch down. I think the recipe is missing a step. I got this recipe out of the Taste of Home Holiday Baking book 2015.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.