Yes, you can watch your diet and enjoy treats, too! These healthy brownies are the perfect cure for a serious chocolate craving. —Rita Ross, Delta, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- Place the egg whites, cottage cheese and vanilla in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add chocolate; cover and process just until blended, about 15 seconds. Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt; add to cottage cheese mixture. Cover and pulse until just moistened.
- Spread into an 8-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 brownie: 117 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as No-Guilt Brownies in Country Woman May/June 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.