No-Fuss Potato Salad
There's no need to slice potatoes for this creamy salad. Myra Inners of Auburn, Kansas uses a box of scalloped potatoes to hurry along the preparation.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 1 package (4.9 ounces) scalloped potatoes
- 3-2/3 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- Paprika, optional
- Set aside sauce packet from potato package. In a large saucepan, bring potatoes and 3 cups water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Rinse with cold water; drain thoroughly. Transfer potatoes to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in contents of reserved sauce packet. Gradually add the remaining water; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard; gently stir into potatoes. Add eggs and sprinkle with paprika if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 324 calories, 26g fat (4g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as No-Fuss Potato Salad in Quick Cooking January/February 2004