I learned to bake turkey in a brown paper bag, but now I use an oven roasting bag for perfect results that keep white meat moist. —Marla Hyatt, St. Paul, Minnesota
Recommended: 28 Impressive Holiday Roast Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub butter under the skin. In a small bowl, mix salt, sage, rosemary and pepper; rub over outside and inside of turkey. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- Sprinkle flour into oven bag; shake to coat. Place in a shallow roasting pan; add turkey to bag, breast side up. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag; close with tie provided. Bake 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°.
- Meanwhile, for stuffing, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in stuffing cubes, soup, broth and egg. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- Remove turkey from bag to serving platter; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Serve with stuffing. Yield: 12 servings (8 cups stuffing).
Originally published as No-Fuss Herb-Roasted Turkey & Stuffing in Simple & Delicious October/November 2014