- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 slices deluxe American cheese
- 6 slices boiled or baked ham
- Prepared mustard
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups whole milk
- Chopped fresh parsley
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Spread bread with butter. Place six slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top each bread slice with a slice of cheese and ham. Brush with mustard. Place the remaining bread slices, buttered side up, over mustard. Beat eggs and milk; pour over all. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Meanwhile, heat sauce ingredients and keep warm. Serve with the mushroom sauce; garnish with parsley. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forNight Before Casserole
"I have made this many times. It's so easy to suit your taste! Want spicey add peppers, want sausage not ham, go for it. When I used sausage I precooked it. Then crumbled it over bread. Try diffetent cheeses like I have. Swiss cheese adds a lot of flavour too. The possibilities are endless!! Thank you !!"
"I made the recipe as as written, but left out the mushroom sauce. It was easy to make, but we found it somewhat lacking. The concept is great, but there wasn't enough flavor for us. I guess we just prefer bit taste. I WILL make this again, but next time I will either add more ham and mustard, or perhaps I will make it sweet and replace the ham and mustard with jam and cream cheese. Also, I might cube the bread. I used my own homemade bread and it wasn't square so didn't come out like the pictures. Regardless, I will make it again. Thank you, Reminisce, for the recipe. 8~)"