- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 large Nellie’s Free Range Egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- Food coloring of choice
- Colored sugar and sprinkles, optional
- Cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half. Wrap each in plastic; refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 3/16-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until set, 5-7 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder on low speed until blended; beat on high until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes. Add corn syrup; beat 1 minute.
- Tint with food coloring as desired. (Always keep unused icing covered with a damp cloth; if necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.) Pipe or spread icing on cookies; decorate as desired. Let dry. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forNice 'n' Soft Sugar Cookies
"The best sugar cookies!!! I used the editor's note to get the flour so I didn't need to buy a whole thing of self raising flour. Otherwise everything was followed as written. A great frosting too that sets well! Will be making every year!"
"These cookies are delicious. Those people who didn't get a soft cookie did something wrong. I followed the recipe exactly. Yummy. Maybe you didn't soften the butter???"
"These were not anything like they should be. Wasted a bunch of ingredients. Not sure why some of us had the same issues, and others liked it. It was almost like there was a binding ingredient missing. After a few failures I added some oil to get the consistency I need to do anything with them. Moving on to another one...this one is a no go....."
"I love soft chewy cookies and these are the best sugar cookies I've ever had. They are a Christmas tradition in our house."
"Love these sugar cookies. This is my go to cugar cookie recipe! Everyone loves these with a little buttercream frosting on them."
"The first batch I made, burned; The second batch was only air and super crunchy......I have lost 15 cookies so far..... I just hope that this next one isn't another waste....EACH BATCH IS SIX COOKIES SINCE I AM USING A TOASTER OVEN......."
"Love this recipe! The cookies turned out nice and soft and not overly sweet. If you want it sweeter then make your icing sweeter. However, I liked them without icing and with just as well. I used a different recipe for the frosting as I didn't want to use corn syrup. I made these last week and am whipping up another batch today!"
"My mother adores these cookies, I use a different frosting recipe and the end result tastes like it came from the local bakery!"
"I did not have any trouble with this recipe at all. I followed the Editor's Note since I did not have any self-rising flour. The cookies were easy to roll and turned out great. I also shared the recipe with a friend and she was very happy with the results, also."