New Year’s Surf ‘n’ Turf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 8 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 to 2 inches and 8 ounces each)
- 24 uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and 1 teaspoon garlic in 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add wine or broth; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the parsley, basil and browning sauce if desired. Remove from the skillet; keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook steaks in 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Return mushroom mixture to the pan; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, combine the remaining butter and oil. Add the shrimp and remaining garlic; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Serve with the steaks.
Jul 21, 2015
I served the mushroom sauce with grilled steaks along side shrimp. Very special meal!
Dec 27, 2009
We had this dish for Christmas Eve. It was very nice...easy and quick to prepare. It definitely felt festive for the occasion. My guess is we'll make it again on a non-holiday night, but likely without the shrimp.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.