- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 5 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 8 beef tenderloin steaks (1 to 1-1/2 inches thick)
- 24 uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and 1 teaspoon garlic in 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add wine or broth; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the parsley, basil and browning sauce if desired. Remove from the skillet; keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the steaks; cook for 5-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Return mushroom mixture to the pan; heat through.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, combine the remaining butter and oil. Add the shrimp and remaining garlic; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Serve with the steaks. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forNew Year's Surf 'n' Turf
"I served the mushroom sauce with grilled steaks along side shrimp. Very special meal!"