New Year’s Raisin Fritters
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (15 ounces) raisins
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 2 teaspoons sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, salt, eggs, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a thick batter. Stir in raisins. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Stir down batter; cover and let rise again until doubled. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Roll in additional sugar while warm.
Jan 3, 2011
WOW what a fantastic recipe Every one loved it ...
Jul 2, 2010
hmmm good. love them. when we grew up we just called them raisin donuts. had them more than once a year too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.