New Orleans-Style Subs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 1-1/3 cups giardiniera
- 2/3 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2/3 cup pitted ripe olives
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) unsliced French bread
- 1/4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1/2 pound sliced reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 1/2 pound sliced reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- Place giardiniera and olives in a food processor; cover and process until coarsely chopped. Set aside.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom of loaves, leaving 1/2-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use). Place on two large baking sheets. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until toasted. Brush bottom halves with dressing; layer with ham, turkey and provolone cheese. Spread top halves with olive mixture; layer with roast beef and Colby-Monterey Jack cheese.
- Broil 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Layer bottom halves with tomatoes, lettuce and onion; replace tops. Cut each loaf into six slices.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 336 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 1368mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Mar 3, 2013
This was excellent. The combination of giardiniera and olives was different. Great lightened version of a baked sub.
Aug 17, 2011
how can this be healthy when it has enough salt for 3 meals ....i was told that 400 of sodium per meal
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.