This colorful casserole is popular for family gatherings in many New Orleans homes. I started making it years ago, and now our grown sons include it on their own menus. —Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Featured In: 34 Best Mardi Gras Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups crushed reduced-fat butter-flavored crackers (about 30 crackers)
- 5 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add corn; heat through, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar, pepper sauce, thyme, salt and pepper; add to corn mixture. Stir in crushed crackers and green onions.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as New Orleans-Style Scalloped Corn in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014