- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 pounds cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute onions, green pepper and celery in 5 tablespoons butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, picante sauce and parsley.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the broth, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Stir into the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, mushrooms, olives and green onions. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews forNew Orleans Shrimp Creole
"Loved this recipe!!!!! Made it for just something to try different and my husband said it was one of the best dinners I have ever made. I cook a lot. Will make again great for anything."