VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in sour cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in vanilla. Pour into baked pie shell; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over warm filling; sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as New Orleans Pecan Pie in Country October/November 1990, p51