VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, drained
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the flour, salt and oil; beat until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 15-20 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 14-in. pizza pan; build up edges slightly. Prick dough several times with a fork.
- Bake at 425° for 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle remaining ingredients over crust in order listed. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted. Cut into wedges. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as New Haven Clam Pizza in Country August/September 2001, p49