New England Sweet Potatoes
The sweet potato lovers in my family think this side dish is tops!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Place sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool.
- Cut potatoes in half. Scoop out the pulp into a bowl; discard potato skins. Mash potatoes. Add the syrup, ginger, salt and cayenne; mix well. Fold in cranberries. Set aside 1-2 tablespoons pecans for topping. Stir remaining pecans into potato mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved pecans. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as New England Sweet Potatoes in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004