- 4 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup milk, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds cod fillets or freshwater fish (trout, catfish or pike)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly.
- Slice 1/8 in. thick; place in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with flour. Top with onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour half of the milk over potatoes. Place fish on top; pour remaining milk over fish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley and paprika. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Reviews forNew England Fish Bake
"I printed this one out some time back and finally tried it. My husband and I just loved it! I did end up adding a little more flour to thicken up the sauce because we like it thicker, but all in all a very good recipe we will use again!"
"This is delicious, but the potatoes were a bit soupy."
"you can add diced or sliced parsnip and carrot to potatoes for color and sweetness very good ..also rutabaga slices are good in this ...about 4 large slices"